Thursday, April 4, 2013

Spring Break Day 4: Kid's Club

I planned kids club for today because the weather man said it was going to rain, and on Thursday's they have a toddler play park. Apparently every other parent thought the same thing, cause that place was busy! Typically when we go places, we go in the morning...it just works out better that way...but today we didn't get there till 4:30 because it was a bit of a rough morning for us all....Henry was having a hard time and went down for an early nap at 11. His 2nd eye tooth is breaking through and he was so whiney. I felt bad for him. Also, Devin was having a rough morning as well. He was having problems listening. A quick hands to yourself/sit on the couch for  5 minutes seemed to do the trick...after threatening to not go to kids club didn't work. But because of the choices he was making there was no TV in the morning; instead we read books, practiced writing in his new workbooks, drew letters in a box of sugar for practice and wrote on a dry erase board. He was pretty bumbed about no tv, but really got into the writing. We made it fun! Devin always wants to be the first one done and speeds through his work to finish. When he slows down he does a really good job. After a bit I was finally able to convince him to slow down...it isn't a race. Any suggestions on how to help him remember this? Today we practiced writing the letter (A, a). He had fun coming up with words that start with it. His favorite one was Allison. He loves his little sister! And finally, I was having a bad morning...the exterminator came to check on the mouse bait boxes he left about a month ago and to spray for ants again. I am terrified...absolutely terrified of mice. And having him here means I have to slip back into the real world, a world where I have a sneaky little mouse invading my lovely laundry room/pantry trying to make himself a happy little home. I like to try and forget about it...but not today. So I guess the only one having a good morning was sweet Allison. She played all morning and munched on baby cheeto's and grapes. :) Ooh to be a kid again! LOL

Anyways, after nap time we headed to kids club. Devin was so, so, so excited. He had waited all morning for this! While he played in the big jungle area, I took the babies into the toddler area. Turns out we were the only ones in that area, which was just fine by me. I loved that it was a contained area that Henry couldn't escape from and everything was padded! He explored the entire area. He loved the various balls they had, got on the mini trampoline, climbed over and under things, visited the kid in the mirror...several times...and danced to the music. It was great. I didn't pay for Allison this time because I wasn't sure what all this was going to entail. On their website it said for crawlers on up to 3 years and since she isn't crawling yet I didn't think she would be able to do much. Being our first time, I decided to save a few bucks and just check it out first. So while Henry was exploring, Allison sat on the floor with a couple of toys and was as happy as can be. Knowing what I know now, I think I will pay for Allison the next time we go. I will have to do most things with her, but I want her to experience everything. The more things you can introduced a child to, the more pathways they make in their brain. And I've always wanted Allison to try anything I have Henry try. So about halfway into play time, Allison started to get fussy...which is really unlike her. All of the sudden it dawned on me, I forgot to give her her 3:00 pm medication. A wave of panic came over me. I quickly texted Julyla to see what I should do. She reassured me that she was going to be fine and I could give her the medication now. Once I gave it to her and gave her a snack she was herself again. Phew!

And with that, our spring break week is over..well for me at least....it's my Friday! This week was so fun and so exhausting at the same time! It's a small glimpse into what this summer will be like...all though we won't be going on outings every day in the summer. Maybe a few a week. I am looking forward to going to the park most days though! We are going to have so much fun!

No comments: