Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Galbladder update:

Well, since I've stopped taking my birth control pills, I haven't had one gallbladder attack. (It's been almost 2 months). Which is pretty awesome, if you think about. When I decided to stop taking the birth control pills, I was having attacks almost everyday, and was considering having my gallbladder out. I was down to eating almost all Vegan foods. Life was getting pretty miserable! I told my Dr. at my last check up that I had stopped taking the birth control pills, and since then haven't had any attacks. He seemed skeptical. He had never heard that birth control pills could help in the formation of gallstones. But he did say he was curious, and said he'd do some research on it.

Here are a couple of helpful links in case anyone is interested in how birth control pill play a role in forming Gallstones.

National Digestive Diseases Information

National Women's Health Resource Center

About.com: Women's Health

A research paper done on high Estrogen levels in mice and the formation of Gallstones.

Now when I eat foods with fat in them, I get a dull pain in my side, and sometimes my stomach will ache a little. However it never goes into a full blow attack. In any case, the pain I do feel, is a nice gentle reminder of foods I should stay away form! I think I can live with that!

No comments: