Tuesday, June 10, 2008

To Vegan or not.

I started reading a book by Dr. McDougall. It's called Digestive Tune-up. His theory is basically most diseases are brought on by what we eat. He suggests that the "Western diet" is killing us. He says Humans weren't meant to eat meat or dairy products and backs this by physical evidence from what are teeth are like, and how our digestive system processes food. Anyways...I don't really believe that we should eat an entire "Vegan" (no meat or dairy) diet, but he makes some really fascinating points. He has a section in the book on the Gallbladder, which is why I started reading his book in the first place. He says that gallstones are formed by excess cholesterol in your body. Plants don't have any cholesterol, therefore to avoid gallstones, you should eat a plant based diet. (Makes sense!) He goes on to say that women shouldn't use birth control because of the high amounts of estrogen which help form cholesterol...wonder why my Dr. couldn't tell me this! He also talks about over all digestive health, and how it can affect your health. I can't believe it, but I think over the years, I've had just about every thing he talks about. From constant constipation, to mid night cramps with diarrhea, to fissures, and GERD, and now gallstones. And if I think back, all of my problems started in College, which is right after I started taking birth control...hmmm...Maybe there's something to be said for what he's taking about. Well, I think I'm going to try eating a vegan diet for one week and see how I feel. If I have no pain after that week, than I'm going to try and eat mainly vegan. Of course, I'm not going to do it all of the time...I'm not going to be that strict in my diet, but no pain is the goal, and if Vegan is the trick, then I'm on board. I've already noticed that milk gives me pain. Every morning after breakfast I experience the same kind of pain/nauseous feeling after eating my cereal. For the last 2 days I've changed from cereal to fruit and nuts, and what do you know, no pain! I still have to do some research on eating Vegan, before I start. I'll keep you posted on what I decide.

No comments: